All AH ships had teakwood planking only on open decks. All interior decks were covered with Linoleum.
The color schemes of the AH navy were adopted in a bureaucratic manner - as in every navy. The respective regulations including the exact mixture of the colors can be researched at the Austrian War Archive. Here a short synopsis:
From 1900/06 to 1914
Hulls, superstructures, all exterior visible parts like vents, masts, cranes, boats etc. in dark green. After the then CinC this was nicknamed 'Montecuccolin'.
Waterline pink, submerged hull with green poison color.
The first unit to receive this scheme was the cruiser LEOPARD in September 1899, from 1st June 1901 all new commissioned warships received the new scheme. In 1906 this was adopted officially for the whole fleet with the exception of the torpedoboats - which were painted overall black - and the yachts, which were painted white.
From February 1914
As it was assumed that the fleet will fight on the open sea the dark green color, supposed to hide the ships operating under the coast, a new bluish light gray color scheme was adopted and first applied on the RADETZKY and the SAÏDA from her launching day on. On 23 December 1913 this scheme was adopted for the fleet and nicknamed 'Hausian' after the then CinC. In 1915 the pink waterline, which had a too big contrast to the hull was changed to a dark gray waterline.
From 9 October 1915
All destroyers and torpedoboats had their color changed from black to dull gray.
Return to WWI The Maritime War
Return to WWI Archive main page.