A list of the updates made to The Maritime War section of
WWI-WWW. For the most part, changes will be identified on
each page, with the exception of bibliographic entries.
- 5 June, 2007: New entries in the Bibliography, and some updates to the Vanguard> section.
- 7 January, 2007: Chuck Moore sent the Smith's Dock Monthly extract.
- 14 November, 2006: new drawings from Chuck Moore on the USS Texas.
- 29 December, 2005: errata for
Steve McLaughlin'sRussian and Soviet Battleships; and added several other documents of interest.
Yes, the webmaster's resolutions for 2006 include more timely updates to the site!
- 15 June, 2004: commentary added to the "Boy-Ed" photo set; and Gary Staff's English language
translation from the Krieg zur See on the December 1914 bombardment of Scarborough.
- 5 May, 2004: a series of pieces by Peter Sinfield, dealing with the Royal Australian Navy.
- 4 March, 2004: Jutland: account from Vanguard's Surgeon; times of sunrise and sunset.
- 9 February, 2004: USN Gunnery, from the 1920 Senate hearings; expanded RN Service Records;
- 23 January, 2004: a long-overdue (and pent up!) collection of additions:
CB648C; Kapitan z. See Boy-Ed's photographs; the Battenberg;
links to Hood's Fire Control System, history of the torpedo,
Orepesa sweep and Viribus Unitis;
RN 4-inch guns; several new entries on armour plate/shell trials;
loss of trawlers Alexandra and Paris II;biographies of
Admiral Story and Alfred Taylor (opposite ends of the rank spectrum!);
and numerous updates: to the Vanguard collection in particular.
- 10 July 2003: a bunch of bibliographic updates, plus the bridge of HMS Iron Duke at Jutland.
- 5 March 2003: two new entries from The Naval Review, 1914, used by Professor
Sumida in his important article "A Matter of Timing: The Royal Navy and the Tactics of Decisive Battle,
1912-1916" in the January 2003 issue of The Journal of Military History.
- 29 January 2003: new entry on USN Cage Masts.
- 22 January 2003: new entries Warship Costs, US 14-inch Gun, RN Torpedo Director,
von Holtzendorff's Memo and a number of miscellaneous updates.
- 16 January 2003: moved the site from its old home at
http://www.ukans.edu/~kansite/ww_one/naval/ to www.gwpda.org
(all the pages at UKANS have been set to redirect to the new location, and hopefully
they will stay there for some time.
- 6 October 2002: new entries Japanese Destroyer Hull Markings and
information on American Naval Fire Control, plus a couple of other minor items.
- 29 September 2002: photos taken by John Prouse and Explosions in
Warships during the War.
- 2 September 2002: a few photos of the USS Texas, along with a document
describing her 14-inch Shell Hoists, updates to the Vanguard/Opal/Narborough
pages, and new entries: Russian Baltic Fleet List 1917; von Muller's Report on the loss
of SMS Emden; an Account by the Gunnery Officer of SMS Seydlitz at Jutland;
Russian OOB at Oesel; and a short biography of Captain James Dick of HMS Vanguard,
and a bunch of new Brassey scans.
- 16 June 2002: a small set of updates, mostly surrounding the entries on
- 25 May 2002: a series of updates to the entries concerning HMS Vanguard,
most notably information on Commander Eto of the Imperial Japanese Navy. Also items describing
the "Sin" trawlers of the RN, Depth Charges and the fragments that remain of HMAS
- 5 May 2002: over the past few days, a large number of photographs, mostly of
the Turkish and Greek Navies (thanks to Cliff McMullen) were uploaded; along with information on
Russian projectiles; an extract of the Souchon papers (in German); a
watercolour showing HMS Albion at the Dardanelles; and a number of links
and bibliographic entries.
- 14 April 2002: Imperial Russian Navy 16-inch Gun BB designs and
more Brassey extracts.
- 6 April 2002: several meg of Brassey extracts from George Elder;
information on Russian predreadnoughts; and a handful of other small items, plus
the "Coolsite of the Month" award from Fleet Signals.
- 24 March 2002: extracts from Brassey's Naval Annual 1913 and
a link to scans of the 1919 Jane's Fighting Ships; the Loss of HMS Laurentic;
and sample RN Service Records added, and updates to K Class Submarines; the
Wrecks of Jutland; and the Loss of HMS Vanguard.
- 12 February 2002: a minor set of revisions, including a Pictorial
look at Coronel/Falklands; a link to a site on the loss of HMS Hampshire;
and a different look at Admiral Souchon's impact on the Ottoman Empire's entry
into the war.
- 24 December 2001: new articles from Cliff McMullen - British AMC's, Dummy
Battleships, Q-ships; Notes from the Turrets; John Parkinson's
Wakamiya Maru at Tsingtao
and updates to First RCN
Casualties; Vanguard, Opal and Narborough casualty lists.
- 25 November 2001: Two papers courtesy of Lieutenant-Commander
D.J. Chessum, RNZN on Jellicoe and Admiral Souchon; plus Admiral Jellicoe's
well-known letter of October '14, outlining his intended tactics in a fleet action.
- 4 November 2001: New entries The "K" Submarines;
Gunpoweder and Explosives; RN Fire Control Data Flow; and
German View of British Gunnery as well as a handful of minor updates.
- 30 September 2001: final installment of Frank Lilleker's diving story;
new entries: Hannibal Ford's computer , Trial and Error (both
external links); Thoughts on USN Tactics 1912; Notes on USN Fleet
Disposition; new section Memorials specifically to house a page devoted to the
Naval Cemetery at Lyness, in the Orkneys and a few other updates and revisions.
- 29 August 2001: more of Frank Lilleker's tale of salvaging Vanguard,
and new entry High Seas Fleet Battle Squadron Commanders.
- 25 August 2001 A new entry Salvaging the Wreck of HMS Vanguard,
as well as a handful of minor updates.
- 11 August 2001 New Entries: a link to the Red Duster site;
a paper by Bill Jurens on Target Area vs Angle of Fall for naval gunnery;
the loss of British destroyers Opal and Narborough;
and two lists of German captains and force commanders, along with a miscellany
of minor A+A's.
- 17 June 2001 New Entries: Casualty lists for
HMS Vanguard (thanks to a lot of hard work from Jon
Saunders); Introduction to Engine Room Machinery and Operations,
North Sea Days as well as a few bibliographic updates.
- 3 June 2001 New Entry Tactical and Strategical Exercises.
- 13 April 2001 New Entries: Admiralty Trawlers and Drifters
and Kipling's The Fringes of the Fleet.
- 1 April 2001 A fine assortment of photographs (over 70)
on the Royal Italian and Austro-Hungarian fleets, courtesy of
Cliff McMullen, and new entry "Popular Images".
- 5 February 2001 An important contribution from
David Clark - Oil Fuel Notes, being a transcript
and scans of his Grandfather's training notebook from 1916; along
with a handful of minor updates.
- 15 January 2001 The first upload of the new Millenium
was quite small: RN Hulks 1800-1976 was
added, along with a small set of revisions to the
photos by John Rogers; Hotchkiss 3-6 pounder guns;
3-inch Scoville Fuze; the Fleet List for the Ottoman Navy;
as well as some new entries in the Bibliography and some more links.
- 30 December 2000 New articles by Erwin Sieche:
Austro-Hungarian Danube Flotilla; Austro-Hungarian
Submarines and French Naval Operations, Engagements and Ship Losses.
New fleet lists courtesy of Graham Watson:
French Navy; Grand Fleet; RN Destroyers;
RN Submarines; RN Sloops; and Minesweepers plus
new entries: Paint Schemes of the IGN; a great collection
of photos by John H. Rogers; info on the USS Texas'
Machinery + Armour;info on the USN, 1918; 3-inch
Fuzes; RN + IGN Flag Officers; Military Abbreviations;
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Reginald Tyrwhitt.
- 30 October 2000 New entries: Cruisers + Destroyers
in the General Action; The Tsingtao Campaign;
Loss of HMS Vanguard; Panama
Canal Protocol, plus updated links + bibliographic entries.
- 16 October 2000 New entries: Notes on Naval
Communications; Remnants of the Royal Sovereign Class;
A Primer on German Shipyards; Trawlers + Drifters in RN Service;
The Gyroscope + Gunnery; Fairport at the Falkands;
Loss of Mary Rose and Strongbow;Tsingtao Campaign;
Granting of the British Maritime Medal
and updated: Forces involved at Moon Sound/Oesel plus
the usual assortment of new links and bibliographic entries.
- 10 October 2000 New entries: USS Nevada
Armour Arrangement; Torpedo Fire Control in the RN; "Listening
Through Hydrophones"; "Imperial German Navy after Jutland";
Nurse Ada Garland's Diary; Mobilisation of the RAN; Russian
Volunteer Fleet; Operations in the Caspian Sea; Pembroke Dockyard;
and updates to Ship Photo Gallery; USS
Texas Gunnery; 1st Canadian Troop Convoy; Laying Down
Date of HMS Hood; Sinking of the LLandovery Castle;
and Links - 60+ files, more than 4.5 meg.
- 22 March 2000 New entries: Ships' Rigging; Coaling
from a Collier; Gunnery Fire Control Gear; Observation Mines;
Royal Dutch Shell Shipping Casualties; "Time and Hammocks";
Operation Albion by Gary Staff; and several links
to articles in the Naval War College Review (thanks to
Dr. Timothy D. Saxon),
and updates to RN Signal Flags 1913; Ship Photo Gallery; USS
Texas Gunnery; 1st Canadian Troop Convoy; Bibliography
- 5 March 2000 New entries: Loss of HMS Viknor;
USN Recruiting Posters
and updates to USS Texas Gunnery; RN Shore Establishments.
- 28 February 2000 New entries: Ship Photo Gallery;
British Empire Dockyards and Ports 1908; USS Texas
Ammunition Stowage 1910; Falkland's Memorial; Sinking
of the Hospital Ship LLandovery Castle; The Pre-War
Naval Race; Canadian Naval Recruiting 1914-1918;
Royal Canadian Medical Services; "The Kaiser's Coolies"
and updates to The First Canadian Troop Convoy;
Mediterranean Sub Losses (courtesy of Erwin Sieche) and
a list of RN Shore Establishments.
- 13 February 2000 Inclusion of a better photograph of the four
RCN midshipmen lost at Coronel.
- 11 February 2000 New entries: RN Signal Department
Organization; RN Signal Branch Examination Standards; RN Morse
Code Procedure; Royal Navy "Distinction" Lace; British
Navigational Lights and Signals (all from the
1913 Handbook of Signalling); 1st Canadian Troop Convoy
and RN Shore Estabilishments as well as updates to
entries Miscellaneous Smaller Navies and
The Wrecks of Jutland.
- 17 January 2000 Cliff McMullen has been kind enough
to provide the Central Powers Warship Losses (as made public
by the British in 1916) and a copy of Sir Doveton Sturdee's Despatch
on the Battle of the Falkland Islands.
- 16 January 2000 New entries: USN Ammunition Stowage,
1917; Loss of the Arabic; Allied Warship Losses
to 1916; The Wrecks of Jutland;
and updates to: HMCS Earl Grey; Anti-Torpedo Nets;
Imperial German Navy List, 1914; Forces Involved at
Coronel; WW1 Mines and Minesweeping Off Ceylon.
Entry The RN's Tigris and Euphrates Flotilla has received quite
a number of illustrations, as well as some new information.
- 2 January 2000 The first update of the last year of
the 20th Century consists of new entries: Books Online (on
the Bibliographic page); the start of some Usage Notes for Writers;
RN Euphrates River Gunboats; The (Vickers)/Hotchkiss/Nordenfelt
3 and 3 pounder Guns; Jane's Naval Wargame; "Gallant" Arethusa;
Turkey Enters the War and British Actions; Plan BCR; WW1 Mines off
Ceylon; and Operation ZZ, plus updates to: Austro-Hungarian Paint Schemes; HMCS (?) Earl
Grey; RN Gunboats, Minelayers and Monitors; Imperial German Navy
1914 and Miscellaneous Smaller Navies Fleet Lists. Several
important new links to external sites also added.
- 21 November 1999 New entries: Points of the Compass
in Different Services, The Propulsion of SMS Prinzregent Luitpold,
The First and Last Commonwealth Casualties, plus 11 new Imperial
German Navy Tactical Orders along with a few new links and
- 31 October 1999 A small set of updates, mostly with
the bibliography and links. However, Dave Perkin's RN Submarine
Dispositions, 1914 + 1916 and the notes on the 15-inch
Guns of Vanguard, Courageous and Glorious
have been revised. There are also three new entries:
Royal Engineers Corps of Submarine Miners, a brief
discussion of the Jutland Documents, and the German Assault
on Moon and Oesel Islands.
- 10 September 1999 New entries: a complete revision of
German U-boat Losses by Dave Perkins; a paper by Len Barnett
discussing How Successfully did the British Respond to
the submarine threat; HMCS Naden;
15-inch Guns of Vanguard, Courageous and Glorious.
A few new links and bibliographic updates as well.
- 30 August 1999 New article on Anti-Torpedo Nets,
and a complete redo of British Commonwealth Submarine Losses
courtesy of Dave Perkins.
- 26 August 1999 New entries: Imperial German
Navy Tactical Orders (a rich source of operational and
technical data); RN Submarine Disposition (by Dave
Perkins); an detailed article on the Russo-Japanese War
(by Keith Allen); HMCS (?) Earl Grey;
Introduction of the Gyro-Compass into the RN; RN
- 1 August 1999 New entry: Officers of HMCS Rainbow, 1910.
- 26 July 1999 New entry: RN Submarines, 4 August 1914.
- 25 July 1999 New entries: Ottoman Navy and
RN Destroyers and Submarines 1914 in the "Fleet Lists" section;
Sinking of UB 4 by HMS Inverlyon (by Dave Perkins);
Zeebrugge Memorial;a discussion of the Escape of Goeben
and Breslau; as well as some photos added to First
Casualties in the Royal Canadian Navy.
- 12 July 1999 New articles: H-class Submarines by J. D. Perkins;
Metacentric Height and Potential Raids by German Battlecruisers
by Maxwell Mulholland;Pre-Dreadnought Medium Armament by Keith
Allen; and German Naval Operations in August 1914 by Geoffrey
Miller. Also new entries dealing with: Warship Colour Schemes;
Grand Fleet Recognition Marks and Signalling Procedure 1916; and
a List of the Officers of the RCN, and the usual collection of
updates to the links and bibliography.
- 5 May 1999 New entries: The History of
Naval Design and Purpose (Steve Cobbs); The Laws of
Blockade (a summary by Marc James Small), as well as a
handful of new bibliographic entries and links.
- 17 April 1999Most notably: The Lusitania
Controversy by Keith Allen. Other new entries: New Fleet Lists for
the German and British Navies; a pointer to an online version
of Scheer's autobiography; the loss of HMA S/M AE2; and the
Merchant Navy Memorial in Liverpool. New bibliographic entries
have been added (and all have had some minor cosmetic fixes); and the
links section has been reformatted and all links checked.
- 10 February 1999 New entries: Fleet Deployments // Fleet
Lists (courtesy of a number of contributors); a long-overdue
explanation of "Equal Speed Charlie London" provided; list of "special
badges" worn by British ships; RN semaphore and flag waving procedures;
an extract dealing with the maintenance of guns and mountings, c1921;
sinking of UB72; and a short bio of Captain Charles Fryatt., plus
the usual new links and new bibliography entries, and a few cosmetic
changes to the main menu.
- 21 January 1999 New entries: RN Destroyer
deployments, 1914-1918; a Summary of the Battles of Coronel and the
Falklands; a poster showing the recruiting requirements for
the Royal Naval Canadian Volunteer Reserve, and most importantly,
the complete text of the book The Bridge to France. New
links added, new entries in the bibliography, including a new section
on fiction (restricted to items written during the WW1 era).
- 21 December 1998 A much-delayed series of updates that include
the new entries: Royal Navy Battle Ensigns; Pre-war Warship Colours;
Laying-Down Date for HMS Hood; Discussion of RN Trawlers Built
in Canada; Battle of the Falkands; Sinking of the Lusitania;
List of Non-British Commonwealth Casualties at Jutland; Torpedoing
of the USS West Bridge; Naval War in Africa; Introduction of
Convoys; List of German Ships Scuttled in Scapa Flow; Branch Colours
in the RN and USN. Many new links added, as well as updates
to the bibliography.
- 21 September 1998 A few new entries: the First
Appearance of the Maple Leaf Emblem on Canadian Warships; Submarines Built
In Canada; list of RN Ships with their Commanding Officers at Jutland;
Jellicoe's Official Jutland Despatch; a few Jutland charts; and a discussion
of Who Won at Jutland
plus a few more bibliographic entries and new links.
- 4 August 1998 New entries: Phonetic Alphabets; Mediterranean
Submarine Losses of all Nations (courtesy of Erwin Sieche); "The Laws of
the Navy" plus a few more bibliographic entries and new links.
- 28 July 1998 New entries: Origins and Development of the
Battlecruiser; Battle in the Otranto Straits (15 May 1917) including
photographs (courtesy of Erwin Sieche); Discussion of the Mobilisation
of the Royal Navy as the war began. In addition, the List of
AH Attacks on Otranto Barrage has been completely revised and
corrected (again courtesy of Erwin Sieche). As always, more bibliographic entries and
a few new links.
- 13 July 1998 New entries: Loss of HMCS Galiano;
RN Gunboats etc in North Russia 1919; Order of Battle for the Coronel
(and RCN Casualties there); Battle of Cape Sarych; AH Squadron 7 August
1914; List of AH Attacks on Otranto Barrage; Fates of the Surviving Ships
of the Austro-Hungarian Navy, and a biography of Admiral Kolchak,
plus many more bibliographic entries and
a few new links.
- 6 June 1998 New Dedication, Submarine Losses,
Spanish Dreadnought projects, RN's K+M Class submarines
sections added, new links (and
the links moved to a separate page for better performance), and
new bibliography entries.
- 1 April 1998 New entries "Boxing the Compass",
Roumanian Cruiser Elisabeta, RN Destroyer Fuel
Endurance, Jutland Order of Battle and Losses,
external link for the Campaign in the Adriatic, new information
add to RN Pendant Numbers, new links added, and of course
more entries in the Bibliography.
- 8 March 1998 Merged "Shipping Statistics" with the
Submarine Campaign; added new tables regarding the shipping losses.
- 3 March 1998 Photos of the US Navy's 14" Railway
- 26 February 1998 The appearance of the INRO website was
worthy of a separate, quick update!
- 16 February 1998 misc. items added to the bibliography,
and the listserver address for MARHST-L updated.
- 7 December 1997 added new section for Warship
International articles to the bibliography.
- 29 November 1997 added new Shipping Data, End of the
War, Sources of Info subsections; new external links; links to the
Biographical section of WW1-WWW; and added "meta data" info to certain
pages for the new search engine.
- 4 October 1997 three more "Greenway" photographs added,
new Personalities section, minor additions to bibliography,
added the German declaration of 4 February, 1915.
- 20 September 1997 many more "Greenway" photographs added,
links added (and those to WW1-WWW corrected), Shipping
- 18 August 1997 new entry in "Technology" section of
bibliography; minor cosmetic change to RN photos section; new
Economic Warfare papers section in bibliography.
- 9 August 1997 added Mobilization and the War's Beginnings
section; added new entries in bibliography (Naval Biography, The Course
of the War, Technology + Tactics); account of Jutland by the Captain of
SMS Seydlitz, some RN photos (submitted by Alistair Greenway).
- 6 April 1997 added Links section; the Raid
on Zeebrugge; new Economic Warfare section to Bibliography;
pointer in Bibliography to WWI-WWW's "recommended reading" list; added
new entries in bibliography (Economic Warfare, Submarine
Warfare books, Course of the War books, Naval Biography books,
German language books); RN Convoy abbreviations;
minor cosmetic fixups.
to WWI The Maritime War
to WWI Archive main page.
Last Updated: 5 June, 2007.